The treatment for your TMJ pain depends heavily on its cause or causes. Some TMJ pain has simple, non-surgical solutions. In other cases, extensive ongoing therapy may be needed. In still other cases, surgery may lead you to the best outcome. Here are just a few of the common treatments used for TMJ disorders:
- Hot or cold packs.
- Stress reduction and relaxation techniques.
- Psychological counseling and treatment.
- Physical therapy and jaw exercises.
- Nutritional therapy (such as eating soft foods).
- Anti-inflammatory medications.
- Muscle relaxants.
- Dental treatments, such as an occlusal appliances or night guards.
- Surgery (arthroscopic surgery or open-joint surgery).